Thursday, October 21, 2010

Beginning - First trial

So, last night I sat out my newly-arrived paints, my crispy fresh brushes, my water, baby wipes, and got my 3-year old son to sit in front of me. The first thing he asked for is Lightning McQueen. Of course. A cheek art. Or a recognizable character.

The next 10 minutes were sheer frustration, as he talked nonstop, twisted his head, complained and wanted "to see it". Basically, I think he gave me a quick tour of all of the kids I will be painting in these short/long 10 minutes. Only he is mine and they won't be.

I finally got that done. Since he loves to be painted, and is a more realistic model of what I am to expect in the field, I also attempted to do a half-butterfly eye design. It came out quite dreadful, but hey, its a first try. Then we did a shoulder spider - that was much easier.


What a ham, the child was born to be in show business, I think. Scary. With that, I sent him off and attempted to regain my sanity. Let me tell you - all those professionals know what they are talking about when they say - practice, practice, practice. They make it look sooo easy. It's not. Being an artist, I can tell you - knowing how to pain on paper/canvas helps, makes the brush feel good in your hand. But its not the same! The lines, the colors...AHHHH! I felt so frustrated.

Then it was John's turn. He sat patiently, waiting for me to "birth" a tiger. I dabbed the white paint, and dabbed...and dabbed some more...I still cannot figure out how much water to put on the brush. It was either too much or too little. And apparently I was pressing on his eyes too much. What came out was a rather-goofy, but half-way decent tiger (imho).

Then it was my turn. I was the easiest to work on, except the sides of face. I couldn't really see well, and the lighting in the kitchen where I was painting was really bad. I worked on some teardrops and swirlies and dabbing on my arm. Then tried making a couple of mark-butterflies. I like the red one, actually. I think I will work it more (oh, I need my dotter to arrive soon!) and make it an actual design.

The blue (below) I'm not very fond of. I completely forgot the "light first, dark second" rule. The lines blended too much, they were too thick, design was meh..but hey, it's all learning process. I like to work with reds/blacks way more, to be honest, but I know that majority of my requests will be in pastels.


So far, my impression of the Snazaroo paints (and this is from someone who has NO idea what she is talking about):

1. They are definitely better quality than wall-mart cheapo paints. They go on easy and the colors are vivid.

2. Cheap sponges that come with kits - are crap, for the most part. They stain my hands (I had to constantly wipe my hands and was still leaving fingerprints of all colors everywhere), they are tiny, they absorb way too much paint.

3. The paint dries FAST is you put the right amount of water on. The lines are also smooth and crisp and you don't have to reload after each line. Water/Paint balance is crucial and quite a challenging task to master.

4. Keep brushes OUT of water when you are not using them.

5. DON'T sit your model below you. My back was killing me. I couldn't see anything, especially on my son.

6. The flat Snaz colors (esp. the white) is easier to see and goes on better than the sparkle ones. I did not really care for the pearl/sparkle white, but I was probably not doing it right.


Ok, so this is not only about the colors, but you get the point. So much to learn...

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the snaz sparkle white. I still haven't found a good use for it.
    Good luck with your new adventure. So far, it seems very much like mine.
    Diane aka rthling

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...